Sunday 11 September 2011

Style Yourself

I recently purchased this little gem of a book and am so glad I spent my gift card monies on it. I devoured it in a matter of minutes. It has everything I want in a fashion book!


Style Yourself is a very light-read, perfect for flipping through to gather some quick fashion inspiration or to learn a thing or two. It has lots of pretty pictures and it features 95 international fashion bloggers with a foreword from Jane Aldrige of Sea of Shoes. It's a great fashion book which provides tips for shopping, tells us what the wardrobe must-haves are and offers personal style advice from the bloggers themselves.

Here you see 3 different bloggers styling the same cape in Cape Remix. Same cape, but rather different looks. The look's perfect for Autumn.

Here, some bloggers show us how they wore stripes. I've tried to steer clear of horizontal stripes because I've always heard they make you look wider than you really are, but apparently, stripes can be figure-flattering. Who knew?

The book's also great for getting to know a bit more about some of the bloggers behind the blogs we read. It's really interesting because you get to see where some of the bloggers draw their fashion inspiration from. Like many others, Shini of Park & Cube shared with us her inspiration for her outfit (ice cream, apparently!) and where she wore her outfit to.


This book has so much useful information, I find it very educational. I never seem to know the right names for certain patterns or materials and this book has certainly taught me a lot.


Having this book inspires me to try to be a bit more descriptive from now on in my outfit posts. A blouse will not be just called "a blouse", but I'll try to give it its proper name.


It has also got really cute illustrations. Look at these shoes. Amazing likeness!


I really like this book mainly because it's not fashion on the runway, but fashion worn by real people. There are plenty of photos of style coordinates in here from bloggers wearing vintage to bright neons. So it's a fantastic lookbook and a very good fashion dictionary, but I'm not sure it really teaches me to "Style Myself", but rather it provides the inspiration. Still, a great book, nonetheless.

24 comments:

  1. Seems like a great book! I invested in something similar before but I think this one is even better w/ all the categorical and item names!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow looks like an amazing book! Where can I get one!


    Shasie of Live
    Life in Style

    ReplyDelete
  3. i never knew that these books exists xD 

    ReplyDelete
  4. woww- this seems like a great book... so much detail!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great book to have one reference!!! :D The pictures, styles, and tend look awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like a really cool book I'd like to own! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks really interesting and inspiring! 
    Krissy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, really smart book :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. aww, that book looks awesome! where did you get it cause i want to buy one too ^____^ ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. that books looks lovely! would love to get my hands on a copy :)

    www.yanasdollhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. aawh, that book looks so awesome! And funny that all those people are bloggers instead of models :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh that book looks pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like a really great read! I love the capes they showed - so chic! I would love to get one of my own for the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Petite Blogger21 November 2012 at 15:12

    think i shud also get this book! i recognise some of the bloggers lol.
    btw im not malaysian... im mauritian but dating a malaysian and moving there in oct. so guess im a 'soon to be' malaysian! hahahaha love ur blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. it look like an amazing book i have to get my hands on it!















    <3 steffy

    Steffys Pros and Cons

    ReplyDelete
  16. this looks like a book i would like to spend money on. I also like fashion books but I agree with you when it comes to those books that are wayyyy to high-fashioned for me. I mean, i get it, because people who mostly buy fashion books are stylists and they are trying to find original and unusual inspirations but for girls like us, this is way better! :D i liked the pages with the illustrations on, very clean and right to the point ^^
    thanks for sharing <3
    Love * Sofia

    ReplyDelete
  17. JOEY!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for this post! When I saw the categorising and explanation of the various texture and style of blouse, I know I'd to get that book. I immediately called Singapore Kinokuniya to request if they have that book in store. They have! And so I know how to use my $30 voucher now!

    PS: While packing my room I overturned one of my 2009 birthday card and saw an expired 2009 kino voucher. So wasted! Fortunately frenz love giving me kino vouchers so I've still got some which could still be used.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I won this book in a giveaway and I agree that it's a great resource for styling outfits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks like a real nice book to have, it shows you lots of details and you get to choose which style you like, pretty neat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it's amazing how fashion bloggers has a really big influence in the industry.


    ... I think I shall go and get my hands on that book!

    http://houseofblackcrows.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've seen this book plugged a bit on the bloggers' blogs (redundant to say maybe haha) and it definitely looks like it's a good book for days inspiration just isn't coming. It's nice to have "non-hollywood celebrity" fashion influences you know!

    ReplyDelete
  22. They don't have it in BKK... guess I have to order it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I WANT THIS BOOK! :(

    Vanesa
    http://the-bel.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. omg this mag is amazing i wish they sold it in malaysia! 

    sydsense.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to leave me a comment xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...